St. Phillip’s College has been transitioning from Blackboard/WebCT to Instructure Canvas. A small group reviewed Instructure, made a presentation to the Board, and the Board approved purchase in October. They hope to have a training in Spring, and by Spring 2013, they will be fully converted to the new LMS.
6415 South 3000 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84121
- Learning Tool Interoperability (LTI) Integration
- Email notifications to multiple accounts
- Pictures in Class Roster – not yet available but will be in 2012.
- Provides interactions and sends notification through GoogleDocs, Skype, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Delicious, Diigo. Students just get a notification. Get notifications via multiple venues.
- Students want to be notified in a variety of ways…all of it is tracked inside of Canvas.
- Students can export ePortfolio as HTML or the school can keep it running.
- Nice full screen calendar…features drag-n-drop events in the calendar. Neat thing is that it updates the syllabus, sends out student notifications and assignment due dates automatically. It also has a calendar feed that can be put into Outlook or other stuff.
- Does the faculty have a dashboard of all recent activity? Yes.
- Instructure can import course content from other LMS (Moodle Course Import tool is under development).
- Angel Learning
- Supports Common Course Cartridges
- D2L Export
- McGraw Hill
- Easy adjustment of events and due dates for imported course–automatically adapts course dates during import.
- Allows you to access the syllabus
- Course elements are automatically hyperlinked when inserted into Syllabus, such as:
- Word documents
- YouTube video embedding
- Flickr Creative Common Image search
- Equation editor (LaTeX support)
- Record/Upload Media from the content editor
- Scribd is used to share
- Kaltura video support
- BigBlueButton for audio conferences
- Can it support control-release? Only if it’s been released.
- Can documents like Academic Honesty policy, or other items that need to be preloaded. Response: Think of Canvas courses as templates…you can set those up ahead of time for faculty to work from.
- Support for SpeedGrader – available on iPad as an app as well as other places. Click the link to see more info and videos via YouTube.
- Provides speech recognition when using Google Chrome browser
- Making sure Canvas makes sure students are turning in their work:
- http://www.proctoru.com/ (mentioned but not sure if it is supported or not)
- Authentication Measures:
- You can see time on task (course level)
- Elements can be controlled via Navigation
- Supports Mobiles devices
- Native App for IoS devices (e.g. iPhone,iPod,Ipad)
- Access it via mobile web browser
- No Java at all
- File Manager
- All ASP model (“in the cloud”)
- Slick system
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner