It’s been ages since I’ve put together a list of all my favorite Windows apps. So, here goes with an update! What would you add to this list?
Here are the questions this blog entry answers:
- How do I update to the latest version of Windows 10?
- How do I protect/secure my Windows 10 Computer?
- How do I encrypt my data so hackers can’t get to it?
- How do I secure my WiFi Connection from Hackers and Surveillance?
- How do I capture/edit images?
- How do I work with sound and video?
- How do I quickly add or find free software?
- How do I remotely control my Windows computers?
- How do I read ebooks on Windows 10?
And, if you are looking for Microsoft apps for your surface book/table or, maybe just great Win10 programs, you can click those links to find TONS of info.
1. How do I update to the latest version of Windows 10?
- Use the Microsoft Update Assistant to start the process of updating your Windows 10 computer. I recently updated to Windows 10 Creator’s Update and so far, so good!
- Keep your Windows computer up to date, using Windows Update and Patch My PC
- Eliminate 90% of security issues by not running your user account in administrator mode
- Malware Bytes* – Great to use when you think your computer has been infected with malware/spyware and you need your computer “cleaned out.”
- AntiRansomware – Although still in beta, Malware Bytes’ solution to ransomware offers real-time protection against ransomware, catching it before it can encrypt your files.
- Spyware Blaster*– An easy to use “inoculation” program against spyware/malware.
- Spybot Search and Destroy* – The best part of Spybot is the TeaTimer which protects your computer’s registry against contamination and immunizes your browsers (IE, Firefox) against malware.
- BitDefender Free – This free for home use antivirus works great and does not drive you crazy with advertisements.
- Sophos Home Antivirus – This is another protection free for home use.
- Run Windows in Virtual Mode
- Mac/Windows/Linux computer?
- Chromebook or use Google Chrome?
- Try Minilock for individual file encryption
- Android device?
- Get ParanoiaWorks’ Secret Space Encryptor (SSE) for Android from Google Play store.
You may also want to get a copy of File Shredder for Windows to securely delete information from your Windows computer.
Not sure this is necessary? It is and increasingly so. Be sure to take this information to heart.
“Virtual Private Networks provide an important element of privacy protection for users,” Electronic Frontiers Association says. . .VPNs [are] one of the most effective tools for protecting privacy when using the Internet, due to the degree of anonymity they provide when accessing online services.