A short time ago, you may recall this blog entry entitled, #BYOD Issues with @Amazon #Kindle #Fire. The main issue stemmed from the seeming inability of the Amazon Kindle Fire to connect to a school district’s network. That problem has been resolved and it was NOT the Amazon Kindle Fire!

Here’s the problem (as a refresher):

I have a couple Kindle Fire Tablets that we are experimenting with. I am unable to access the internet through our system. The Kindle will connect to the wireless access points and will get a valid IP address from the dhcp server. I can ping the Kindle and the network connected icon shows it is connected but there is an “X” below it indicating that it has no internet access. Sure enough, when I try to get to a website, no access. If I enter a static IP address, it zips right to the internet with no issues. I might add that I even used the same IP address that the dhcp server assigned when I entered it statically and it worked.

And, thanks to the school district, the solution:

It turns out it was a DNS issue. I have several DNS IP addresses I use. It’s a long story as to why but they are all necessary. Apparently Kindles and I’m sure a lot of other devices only accept one or two DNS IPs when set to DHCP. I’m basing that on the fact that if I enter the info statically, there are only boxes for two DNS settings. The DNS setting I was using when I set it up statically was actually 3rd on the DNS list at the DHCP server. When I moved the DNS that worked statically up to 1st on the list, everything started working as it should.

You can read the complete resolution of the issue–and the endorsement of the school district tech director who had to solve this–online at #BYOD Issues with @Amazon #Kindle #Fire.

Get Blog Updates via Email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner



Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin’s blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure
Advertisements