Deputy Communications Director
The Texas Freedom Network, a statewide, nonprofit organization located in Austin, seeks a full-time deputy communications director. The Texas Freedom Network promotes religious freedom, civil liberties and strong public schools and serves as a watchdog on the religious right in Texas. The deputy communications director helps develop and manage the organization’s messaging and communications strategies in the mainstream media, member communications and online.
- Work collaboratively with the communications director and other staff to develop, write and edit membership and public communications across various media, including the TFN Insider blog, TFN News Clips, member newsletter (three a year), research and fact sheets, public policy reports, brochures, and other materials.
- Work with the communications director to direct TFN’s media relations, including advancing press events, writing press materials, developing relationships with reporters and occasionally serving as a public spokesperson.
- Expand and maintain TFN’s electronic and printed research files on issues related to TFN’s mission.
- Edit and on occasion help write development materials, including fund-raising letters and e-mail communications with donors.
- Edit and on occasion help write periodic communications with TFN members, including action alerts.
- Respond to requests for information and assistance from the public, the media, elected officials, government agencies, and activists.
- Assist staff in overall office responsibilities including correspondence, answering phones and working with volunteers. Travel and working long and/or irregular hours is required on occasion.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including writing to deadline and for a variety of audiences. A demonstrated competence in writing and editing, including a writing-related degree (preferably in journalism/communications), is a top priority.
- At least one year of communications experience (news reporting, political campaign press work or public relations).
- An articulated belief in TFN’s mission.
- Demonstrated interest in politics.
- Applicants must be personable, well-organized, resourceful and persistent and possess a sense of humor.
- Note: The interview process will include an in-house writing test.
SALARY: Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include employer-paid health and dental insurance, a 401k program and generous paid vacation and personal time off.
TO APPLY: Send resume, three writing samples and at least three references to PO Box 1624, Austin, 78767, e-mail to Dan Quinn or fax to 512-322-0550, no later than December 17, 2010.
TFN is an equal opportunity employer. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Bookmark this on Delicious
Subscribe to Around the Corner-MGuhlin.org
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin’s blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure