Note: MyNotes is just a way of categorizing notes from information I find on the web. You may recall this section was formerly called “DiigoNotes.” This is just information I find worth keeping in my “digital notebook” for future reference.
SOURCE: Advantages and disadvantages of online education classes
Author: Tim Driver
1. Flexibility-This accommodates multiple styles of learning successfully
2. Privacy- Students seem to be much more open to freely and honestly communicating their educational needs.
3. Connectivity- Those students who are more social and LIKE the spotlight have AMPLE opportunities to connect with other learners around the world. Students actually have MORE interaction in an online school than in some face to face settings.
1. Uniformity- Not everyone has the same computer equipment or internet speed. Some don’t even possess either. Systems need to be built that accommodate all types of technology, and equal access needs to be addressed.
2. Disconnection- Very much like brick and mortar, kids who are determined to fail succeed in doing so.
3. Authenticity- Despite many safe guards put in place, there is always the possibility that someone else is doing some of the work for a student.
Overall, the advantages of online learning far outweigh the disadvantages. That is why after almost 20 years in a brick and mortar setting, I decided to become an online principal. I have seen both sides of it, and I decided to embrace the future.
Notes compiled with QuickFox Notes add-on
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin’s blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure