Puppy Cam: An Example of How You Can Embed Media in Moodle
Creating interactive web sites is all the rage. Why? Interaction pays off big for engagement, whether you’re working with K-12 or adult learners. There are MANY tools available to embed content, and usually, I wouldn’t even spend time on them. What is worth spending time on is WHERE you are going to embed them. As I prepare for a Moodle workshop focused on multimedia, it seems only natural to compile a list of places that have content.
One of my favorites is embedding webcams…like the puppies shown at the top of this blog entry. Simply highlight, copy and then paste it into your Moodle HTML page, block, forum post, whatever…it works!
For Moodle, you’ll want to do two things:
1) Multimedia Filters – Turn them on
2) In SECURITY->SITE POLICIES, allow embedding:
WHAT CAN I EMBED?
Here are 48+ neat providers of content that you can embed–or place–on a web page. This is content that can easily be “embedded” in blogs, wikis, and/or Moodle. Some of it you can make yourself, while others comes from other sources.
Acknowledgements: Thanks to all who offered suggestions for what to list here, including the following: Joel Adkins, Andy Byerly, Matt Bucher, Carolyn Foote, Peggy George, Ginger Lewman, Danny Maas, Carol Nichols Mortensen, NedraI, Roswells Girl.
Presented by MathTV.com
- Drop.io – Create audio content via phone or upload then embed it.
- Embedr.com – Allows you to embed videos from various sources in ONE play window.
- MusOpen.com – Embed free public domain classical music
Cartoons and Animation/Avatars
Chat and Gadgets
Voice Thread Tutorial
- Issuu.com – Embed PDF files
Images and Photos
Surveys and Graphs
Create your own poll and then embed the form and/or results. Or, create graphs with data.
- Create a Graph
- Do It Yourself Chart
- GraphJam.com (this is my favorite graph maker, even though you can’t necessarily embed stuff with code…but you can copy-n-paste it once a grpah y
- Online Chart Generator
- Rich Chart Live
Online Lesson Activities
Subscribe to Around the Corner-MGuhlin.org
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin’s blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure