This question came from Sheryl Lew via my Facebook page (brackets indicate my spelling correction):
“Miguel, do you have any ideas for first grade media literacy? TEK16A recognize different purposes of media (inform, entertain etc)., TEK16B identify [techniques] used in media (sound, movement etc.)”
The short answer is, not at the moment. That said, upon 3 second reflection required for a blog entry (grin), I can see the following possibilities:
Using a blog and audio recording, first grade students could do something similar to these classrooms:
- Silvia Tolisano’s blog entry on podcasting with First Graders
- Ms. Berthiaume – First Grade On Air and Animal podcasts
- Why not work with the campus librarian and create content like this Library did but have reviews audio-recorded, or even written, by first grade students?
- Record first grade students doing stuff in class, but have them explain it? Check out this Writer’s Workshop.
- Create Riddles with students
- Wild Things Are podcasts by First Graders
- Series of podcasts by First Grades at Lincoln elementary
I discovered these podcasts via a quick Google search…keywords “first grade podcasts”
What First Grade uses of media could you suggest for Sheryl?
Subscribe to Around the Corner-MGuhlin.org
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin’s blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure